If you’re reading this page, it might be because you’re curious about what I mean when I say that I’m a Christian and a follower of Christ. The short answer to that is that it means that I’ve accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. And if you’re interested in knowing more details about what that means, I’d like to explain a bit more here.
Creation and the Problem of Sin
To start with, I believe that the Bible is God’s word and that it is truth. I believe that God created the world and declared that it was good. (You can read many more details about the creation in the first couple of chapters of the book of Genesis.) Adam and Eve lived in fellowship with God in the perfect world that God had created, but then when they disobeyed God by eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, sin entered into the world and the result of that sin was death, both physical death in this life and eternal death and separation from God forever in hell.
- Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
- And Romans 6:23a says, “For the wages of sin is death.”
The Hope of God’s Solution to Our Problem of Sin
The second half of Romans 6:23 provides hope, though, saying that “the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Even though our sin separates us from God and brings with it the penalty of death and hell, God provided a way for us to be saved from our sin by sending His Son, Jesus, to die on a cross for our sins.
- John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
- Romans 5:8 says, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Ephesians 2:8-9 makes it clear that there is nothing we can do to save ourselves when it says, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.”
Any good works we might try to do could never be enough to save us, but the good news is that Jesus came to earth and lived a perfect life of obedience to God in our place, and then He died on the cross and shed His blood as the payment for our sins.
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 says, “For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.”
Believe in Jesus
To accept God’s free gift of eternal life in Heaven, we simply need to repent of our sin and turn toward Jesus, believing in Him as our only hope of eternal life.
- Acts 16:31 says, “… Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.”
- Romans 10:9 says, “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
If you’re interested in learning more about what the Bible says, you can read the Bible for free online at Bible Gateway.
And if you’re interested in learning more details about what being a Christian means, you can find more information on this page from The Gospel Coalition with additional resources on their website about Christianity and the Bible.
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.